The Dirty Little Secret To Word Of Mouth Marketing
Here Are The Secrets!
No one ever tells you how to develop word of mouth marketing – they just tell you that it is important. There are steps that create word of mouth marketing and for some reason, people don’t share the steps. Well, I will and I am right now!
- Know what your client family members values and priorities are and why they purchase your products/services.
- Understand the different adopter types: innovators, early adopters, the middle majority, late adopters, and laggards.
- Clarify which decision stages are needed for your service/product to be adopted.
- Use the information from steps 2 & 3 to figure out which wording and word of mouth tactics are going to work using the Decision Maker Matrix (discussed below).
- Gather the resources for the highest word of mouth impact.
- Create and implement your word of mouth marketing campaign.
The Decision Maker Matrix
George Silverman created the Decision Maker Matrix after years of trial and error. This matrix charts the different concerns you may come across when working with different adopters and helps you put together a decision process for each one.
So, how do you actually create word of mouth with ease? What are the secrets?
- Use experts and gather information from them. Experts include client family members, suppliers, sales professionals, roundtable meetings, focus groups, etc.
- Gather information from seminars and workshops and get feedback from people who attend these events. Put on seminars, lunch or dinner or breakfast meetings, meet-ups, teleconferences, panel discussions, trade shows and attend these types of meetings as well.
- Gather word of mouth from client family members in testimonial videos and by use of case histories.
- Create a referral program where people share their testimonials and case studies and get incentives for making referrals to your company.
- Use social media and forums to gather more testimonials and as a way for people to make referrals.
- Promote word of mouth through WOW customer service and PR as well as tell-a-friend programs and giving away valuable information or products client family members can share with friends.
- Encourage your team to share your products/services with their own family and friends and others and provide them with a commission or other rewards for doing so.
Ok, the secret is out. Now, what are you going to do with this information?